Can You Get a Medical Marijuana Card for Alzheimer’s Disease in Arkansas?
Do you live—or do you care for someone who lives—with Alzheimer’s disease? If you reside in Arkansas, you may qualify for a medical marijuana card. Alzheimer’s appears on the state’s official list of qualifying conditions, and prospective patients can apply from the comfort of home.
Who Qualifies for an Arkansas Medical Marijuana Card for Alzheimer’s?
Patients and caretakers with a confirmed Alzheimer’s diagnosis qualify for a medical marijuana card in Arkansas. You’ll need to provide medical documentation to a licensed physician and obtain your written recommendation. Then you can register as a patient at the Arkansas Department of Health website.
Out-of-state patients also qualify. You can register as a visiting patient through the Department of Health, and your temporary card is good for 30 days.
There are some notable restrictions. Members of the Arkansas National Guard and U.S. military are prohibited from obtaining medical marijuana under Arkansas law. This applies to both patients and caregivers.
How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card for Alzheimer’s in Arkansas
To obtain your Arkansas medical marijuana card for Alzheimer’s:
- Schedule an appointment to meet with a licensed physician. You can apply for your (or your loved one’s) Arkansas medical marijuana card online and speak with a physician via teleconference using your computer, smartphone, or tablet. Schedule your convenient appointment at Green Health Docs.
- Gather all relevant medical records. You’ll need to provide documentation that confirms an Alzheimer’s diagnosis. You’ll also need to provide proof of residency; you can use your driver’s license or state ID.
- Appear for the scheduled appointment. If you choose a telemedicine evaluation through Green Health Docs, the appointment should take about 15 minutes. If the doctor certifies you or your loved one, you’ll receive your recommendation in writing. If we can’t certify you, you’ll receive a 100% refund.
- Visit the Department of Health website and register as a patient or caregiver. You’ll submit a copy of your certification and state I.D. as part of the registration process. You’ll also need to pay a $50 registration fee; this can be done with a debit or credit card. If you’re registering as a caregiver, you’ll need to pay an additional $37 fee for the criminal background check.
- Print your card. Your registration should take 10 to 14 days to process and must be renewed annually. Once your registration is approved, you can print your card and access Arkansas dispensaries.
In most cases, an Alzheimer’s patient will be registered by a caregiver. If you are acting as a caregiver on behalf of someone with the disease, you’ll need to meet a few basic requirements:
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- You cannot have a felony record.
- You must be a valid Arkansas resident.
All caregivers are subject to a Criminal History Check and must be fingerprinted.
Is Medical Marijuana Effective for Alzheimer’s?
THC, the psychoactive compound in marijuana, may help to slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease. One study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease found that small doses of THC may help to slow the production of beta-amyloid proteins, believed to be a major contributor to Alzheimer’s progression. Other studies have yielded similar results.
Medical marijuana may also help to reduce the severity of Alzheimer’s symptoms. Another Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease study found that THC helps to relieve associated symptoms like anxiety, aggression, depression, and insomnia. It’s important to note, however, that other studies have yielded less conclusive results, and so more research is still needed.
Get a Medical Marijuana Card for Alzheimer’s
If you’re considering medical marijuana as a complement to an existing Alzheimer’s treatment, Green Health Docs is here to help. Apply for your Arkansas medical marijuana card and get certified from the comfort of home. The process is quick, easy, and 100% risk-free. See if medical marijuana can give you the relief you’re looking for.